Friday 14 March 2008

Do The Hippy Hippy Shake


Just been absorbing a lovely record by Al Wilson. Best known for his recording of 'The Snake' which apparently was a big Northern Soul tune 'back in the day' - about which I have to confess, in the manner of Manuel from Fawlty Towers 'I know nothing' - I picked it up because of the title track, his take on Fred Neill's beautiful 'Dolphins'. Wilson's voice is a lovely instrument, and the arrangement does Neill's song justice.

But there's other good stuff on there as well. The stract I can't stop playing at the moment is 'Summer Rain', a very funky tune whose chorus details 'dancing in the sand, to Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club band''. Got me thinking how many artists from, say the rock/indie field would current soul singers namecheck in a lyric? Maybe Radiohead might crop up on a Saul Williams tune, but that's about it. Shame, in a way.

No comments: